Upon recommendation of the academic unit (academic unit head or graduate chair) or staff within the CGPS, a student may be required to discontinue at any time for failure to achieve satisfactory progress in any aspect of the graduate program. Such students must be invited to meet with the chair of the graduate program as soon as evidence of unsatisfactory performance is available. If applicable, a student’s advisory committee must be invited to attend the meeting.

When an academic unit or a CGPS staff member recommends to the Associate Dean, CGPS that a student be required to discontinue, they must also inform the student in writing by providing a copy of the recommendation. If the Associate Dean, CGPS upholds the recommendation, official notification of the requirement to discontinue will be sent by the Associate Dean, CGPS to the student. The Associate Dean’s decision may be appealed to the Graduate Academic Affairs Committee, within 30 days. The basis for the appeal must be outlined in writing.

The student is invited to meet with the chair of the graduate program along with the advisory committee, if applicable, to discuss their lack of satisfactory academic progress.

Based on a clear rationale regarding the lack of academic progress, the academic unit (Head or Graduate Chair) or CGPS staff member makes a recommendation in writing to the Associate Dean that a student be required to discontinue.  At the same time, they must provide the student with a copy of the recommendation.

The student is contacted by the CGPS and given an opportunity (normally one week) to supply additional information for the Associate Dean to review when the recommendation is under consideration.

Prior to the Associate Dean’s ruling on the recommendation, the student may, depending on the circumstances, be provided the opportunity to voluntarily withdraw from the graduate program. 

The Associate Dean reviews the academic unit’s recommendation, along with any additional information submitted by the student.  The Associate Dean’s decision and justification are sent by letter to both the student and the academic unit. 

Either the student or the academic unit may appeal the decision to the Graduate Academic Affairs Committee of the CGPS within 30 days of the letter sent from the Associate Dean.