| Revisions approved Section 15.1
by CGPS Council October 12, 2023
October 16, 2023
15.1. REQUIREMENT TO DISCONTINUE (RTD)
Upon recommendation of the academic unit (graduate chair or head) or CGPS, a student may be required to discontinue (RTD) at any point in their program for failure to achieve satisfactory progress in any aspect of their graduate studies. As soon as evidence of unsatisfactory performance is available and prior to a recommendation being submitted, the student must be invited to meet with the graduate chair and, if applicable, the student’s advisory committee.
A recommendation to RTD will be assessed by the associate dean, CGPS. A copy of the recommendation must be provided to the student by the academic unit. If the associate dean upholds the recommendation, the student will be officially notified by CGPS. The student may appeal the decision in writing to the graduate academic affairs committee within 30 days of receiving the decision.
Inquiries from students, faculty or staff can be directed to the academic affairs specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prior to making a recommendation to RTD, it is the responsibility of the graduate chair and if applicable, the advisory committee, to organize a meeting to discuss the lack of satisfactory academic process with the student as well as opportunities for the student to improve their performance.
- Minutes should be taken during the meeting, to be shared with all parties following the proceedings.
- If the student chooses to be absent from the meeting, it may proceed as planned.
- If it is determined that a recommendation to RTD is appropriate, the academic unit (head or graduate chair) will complete and submit a Recommendation of Requirement to Discontinue form. The recommendation should include progress reports demonstrating a lack of satisfactory progress in the student’s program, as well as any other relevant information. The academic unit must provide the student with a copy of the recommendation.
- CGPS will contact the student with official notice that the recommendation has been received. The student will be given 5 business days to supply additional information for the Associate Dean to review when the recommendation is under consideration as outlined in the notice.
- After the period of notice has passed, the associate dean, of CGPS will review the academic unit’s recommendation, along with any additional information submitted by the student.
- The associate dean will determine whether to uphold the recommendation. Their decision and justification will be provided to the student and the academic unit.
- In cases where the associate dean upholds the recommendation, the student may, depending on the circumstances, be provided the opportunity to voluntarily withdraw from the graduate program.
- The student or the academic unit may appeal the decision to the graduate academic affairs committee of CGPS within 30 days of the notice of the decision being received.
- If no appeal is received by the end of the 30-day period, the RTD (also referred to as faculty action) will be placed on the student’s record.
- If an appeal is received, a hearing board will be convened as per governance regulations.