In order to be eligible to graduate and participate in convocation, the student must:
- Have met all program requirements;
- Have the thesis (if applicable) successfully completed and defended and necessary documentation submitted prior to the stated deadline;
- Be currently registered in the term in which program requirements were completed, including the defence and completion of necessary revisions to the thesis (if applicable);
- Ensure all outstanding fees are paid to the University.
- Have submitted an Application to Graduate
9.1. APPLICATION TO GRADUATE
Students who have met all graduate program requirements must submit an Application to Graduate online through PAWS by the posted deadlines.
Thesis students are responsible for ensuring the final copies of the electronic thesis as submitted to the CGPS, members of their Advisory Committee, and the ETD site meet all regulations as posted on the CGPS website.
The academic unit must recommend the student for the award of their degree by submitting the appropriate form as per section 9.1 of the Policies and Procedures.
At the time the Award of Postgraduate Diploma or Degree form is submitted, the Advisory Committee shall ensure that:
- All changes in the thesis or project required by the Examining Committee have been made by the student and checked by the supervisor or other person(s) designated by the Examining Committee;
- All copies of the thesis as submitted electronically meet the requirements in the Guide for the Preparation of a Thesis;
- The student's file in the academic unit and in the CGPS contains all necessary and up-to-date information regarding the student's status, program requirements, and progress in the program.
Students in a thesis-based program should work closely with their Advisory Committee in order to ensure all necessary documents have been received in their academic unit and in the CGPS office. Following the thesis defence, students will receive a Graduating Student Checklist. Students are strongly advised to pay close attention to this useful information.
Applications to graduate must be submitted by the student online through PAWS on or before the last working day of March to receive their degree at Spring Convocation, or on or before the last working day of August, to receive their degree at Fall Convocation.
Units must submit one of the following forms on behalf of each student as appropriate:
- GSR 300.4: Recommendation for Award of a Postgraduate Diploma
- GSR 300.2: Recommendation for Award of the Master's Degree
- GSR 300.3: Recommendation for Award of the Master of Business Administration
- GSR 300.1: Recommendation for Examination of the Ph.D. Thesis and Award of the Ph.D. Degree